How To Get Rid Of Skunks | 5 Skunk Repellent Substances
are you tired of skunks ? are you looking for ways on how to get rid of skunks and how to keep skunks away. Skunks are mammals in the family Mephitidae.
Mephitidae means ‘stink’ and this how skunks got their name of recognition. Though skunks are a harmless animal they release a liquid with a very unpleasant smell. Although they can also spread diseases like rabies and other diseases which can harm your family and pets.
Skunks create a problem when they get inside our house as they stink a lot and leave a very bad smell. Here I am going to list some remedies to get rid off skunks.
How To Get Rid Of Skunks
Here I am going to list some remedies to get rid of skunks and how to deter skunks.
1. SAFEGUARD YOUR FOOD SOURCES
- Skunks are huge lovers of fruits, nuts, and vegetables.
- If you have trees producing nuts, fruits, vegetables or berries clean them regularly and harvest them as soon as they are ripe.
- Make a fence around your trees so that skunks cannot enter into it.
2. PROTECT YOUR WASTE
Skunks are also attracted by the vegetable waste and other waste which is present in your house. They can live on the waste too.
So you must protect your waste by keeping a lock on the dust bin so that the smell doesn’t come out and do not attract skunks.
You can also keep your waste under some shed so that the waste and its smell is not visible to skunks.
You can buy dust bins with a lock. It is most preferred not to keep vegetable or kitchen waste in your house. As there is no waste there are no skunks.
3. REMOVE HIDING PLACES
Every house have some areas where small animals like rats and cats can hide
Similarly, skunks love to make their homes under sheltered areas and places where they cannot be seen easily.
- One should remove this kind of places or areas from their house.
Ex: under decks or any sheltered place, under bushes or trees.
4. LIGHTEN UP YOUR YARD
Skunks are afraid of lights. They run away from lights.
- It is advisable to install lights in your garden and yard so that it stops skunks coming into your home.
- By Installing lights your garden or yard will also groom up and skunks will not enter into your house.
- You can use solar energy for lighting your garden which will save electricity.
5. SPRAY CHEMICALS IN YOUR YARD
There are some chemicals available in the market which repels the skunks. These chemicals are destructive towards skunks.
You can spray these chemicals around your yard or garden which will stop skunks coming in. Chemicals have to be sprayed after a couple of days and most importantly after heavy rainfall.
Apart from chemicals which repel skunks are listed below.
- Dog and fox urine
- Pepper spray
- Citrus peels
6. SET A TRAP
- You can buy traps designed for raccoons and feral cats and place it in your yard or garden it will work for trapping skunks.
- Traps should be placed by applying peanut butter any cat food or some strong-smelling food that attracts skunks.
- As skunks are trapped they should be released in the woods or any wild area.
- You can also call animal control and they would take skunks and release them on their own.
What Do Skunks Eat?
Skunks eat earthworms, lizards, rodents, frogs and many such insects.
they keep roaming nearby the house to find their food and as a result, they get into gardens, yards, and houses. we can use skunk repellents in order to prevent the skunks from getting into our area.
Do skunks Hibernate?
skunks go under a phase of rest during winter and they survive on their fat ( glycogen that is stored in the body in the form of fat). in addition, skunks are nocturnal and they get active during the night.
Some Of The Best Skunk Repellents
- Peppermint Essential oil.
- BONIDE PRODUCTS INC
- FAYINWBO Solar Outdoor Animal Repeller
- ZOVENCHI Solar Powered Ultrasonic Animal Repeller
- PREDATORGUARD Expel Natural Animal Repellent
You can read: How To Get Ride Of Veruca
Conclusion On How To Get Rid Of Skunks.
I hope you got your answer on how to get rid of skunks. this strategy will help you get rid of skunks. even after implementing all of these strategies, if you fail at skunk removal. do call team of professionals for help and get your skunk removal task done.